The Frequently Asked Questions About Woodvale The following Q&As include links to official parish documents as well as informal information by parents. If you have an additional question not on this list, please post on Facebook or email firstname.lastname@example.org, and one of our parent administrators will do our best to answer them.
I. BASIC INFORMATION
What is the best way to get information about school? Each Tuesday teachers will send home important papers in your child’s folder and will notify you of how he/she communicates with parents. Additionally, Ms. Vidos will send out a weekly newsletter via email.
● Follow our active Parent-Teacher Committee’s Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/WoodvalePTC
● We also have private Woodvale Parent Groups on Facebook for each grade level.
● Our PTC website is another great resource with a calendar of schoolwide events http://woodvaleptc.org
● Our full-time office staff can be reached at (337) 521-7830
● The official website for our school and the parish is http://lpssonline.com/woodvale-elementary
What are school hours?
7:25 am Students Arrival
7:55 am Tardy Bell
3:10 pm Dismissal
When are holidays, important dates, and days off? Reference our comprehensive calendar on the home page and make notes in your planner!
What should my child wear?Uniforms are required every day except for special events and/or free dress days. Current year Spirit Shirts can be worn Monday – Friday with uniform bottoms. On Fridays, your child is allowed to wear any Woodvale T-shirt. Also on Fridays during football season, your child may wear a UL shirt with uniform bottoms to show our support for the Ragin’ Cajuns. https://www.lpssonline.com/uploads/JCDBRDressCodeBoardApproved1213.pdf
Does everyone really get free breakfast and lunch?Yes! We are a part of the grant that provides free breakfast and lunch to all of our students. Children may also have the option to purchase special juices.
Lunch info: https://www.lpssonline.com/site6377.php
District Monthly Menu: https://www.lpssonline.com/site4232.php
Breakfast line stops serving at 7:45 a.m.
Can we bring a lunch some days? Yes, your child may bring a lunch any day they wish. Keep in mind we are a nut-free school and some of our students have severe allergies.
Can I have lunch with my child? Yes, you may have lunch with your child in the cafeteria. Just check in at the front desk first. If fast food items are brought for lunch, please remove them from their original packaging before entering the cafeteria.
What supplies do we need?Below is a list of all grade level supplies. These can be dropped off in your student’s classroom at your Meet & Greet Time. (See calendar for dates.) https://sites.google.com/a/lpssonline.com/woodvale-elementary/supply-lists
How do I get bus information? Call (337) 521-7447 or visit https://www.lpssonline.com/site384.php. On the first day of school and every day after, a teacher on duty will escort all bus riders in the morning and afternoon. Each bus will have a fun animal nickname so it’s easy for your child to remember. If your child’s bus is running late, you will receive a text message about its status. Rest assured, they will be in good hands!
How does the carpool line work?The Car Rider line enters Woodvale on Leon Drive and follows a four-way stop system, each car taking its turn. A crossing guard is located at this intersection to assist walkers and bike riders, which we encourage! Another crossing guard is located at Roselawn and Leon. Every morning and afternoon, on-duty teachers will be there to assist your child. And on the first day of school, a welcoming committee will get your child out of the car and bring them directly to their classroom. You will also receive a name tag with your child’s name to ensure your child never gets in anyone else’s vehicle. Please do not start lining up before 2:40 pm or park in our neighbor’s grass. The carpool line may look long, but rest assured we follow this system each year and everyone gets to school on time and gets picked up by 3:25. On nice weather days, we ask that you not idle your vehicle to reduce emissions.
Where can I find out about Extended Care? Woodvale Elementary Extended Care services include: healthy snacks, homework assistance, enrichment activities and supervised free play.
● Operating Hours are 3:20-5:30 p.m.
● A picture ID must be shown at check-out time every day as stated in LPSS Extended Care Guidelines. No Exceptions!
● Snacks will be provided, snacks from home are NOT allowed.
● The individual checking a student out from the Extended Care Program must be listed on the registration form. Verbal permission to pick up a student via phone will NOT be accepted.
● A late fee of $1/minute per student will be charged for all checkouts that occur after the program closes. Payment must be made before the student can return to the Extended Care Program. Please call Woodvale at 337-521-7830 if you might be late.
● The following tuition rates apply: 5 days a week: $120/month 4 days a week: $96/month 3 days a week: $72/month 2 days a week: $48/month 1 day a week: $24/month
Aftercare registration information can be found at: http://www1.lpssonline.com/uploads/ExtendedCareProgramRegistrationForm.pdf
What is going on with the renovation on the backside of Woodvale?Woodvale is the first of nine schools getting a facelift around Lafayette Parish. Work began in April to add a new building onto Woodvale’s campus to house 20 new classrooms, alleviating the need for portable buildings on the Doucet side of campus. Officials expect the new wing to be complete by August 2020.
Where can I find a staff roster? A full staff roster can be found at this link. https://sites.google.com/a/lpssonline.com/woodvale-elementary/faculty-1
● Monique Vidos, principal
● Ann-Marie Tassin, assistant principal
How can I check my child’s grades? There is a Parent Portal to check grades and other important information. Login information will come home with your student. The required PSN number is the last 5 digits of his/her social security number. Your child’s teacher will also be in contact with you, and they will inform you of their communication system. https://jpams.lpssonline.com/progress/
Do students go on field trips?Yes! Each grade at Woodvale participates in enriching field trips. Last year, kindergartners went to the fire station in the fall, sang at the nursing home for Christmas and visited Zoosiana in the spring. First graders went to the library and the park. Second graders attended at play at the Heymann Center and visited the Audubon Aquarium in New Orleans. Third graders went to the Global Wildlife Center and fourth graders went to the Baton Rouge Zoo. An additional field trip is offered each year to gifted students.
If I’m volunteering on campus, where do I go? Woodvale asks that all parents and guests check in at the front desk and wear a name badge while on campus. Parking is typically available at the front of the school and for big events, parking is also available on the Doucet entrance. There is a restroom in the hallway to the right of the front office. http://woodvaleptc.org/volunteer/
How can I help or volunteer at Woodvale?
● Make a donation to the PTC so every child may participate in our student life events
● Assist the front desk staff with making copies
● Volunteer during the day or after work hours to help with special fundraisers
● Become a room parent to assist your teacher with special events and needs throughout the year
● Participate in PTC meetings; if you can’t come in person, participate live on Facebook
● Volunteer in the library or at the Library Book Fair in December
● Volunteer to serve teachers during the spring Teacher Appreciation lunch or watch their class so they can enjoy their break
● Collect Box Tops from products like cereal and Community coffee to take to the library
● Donate gently used toys or school supplies and trinkets to your teacher’s treasure box; gently used uniforms are also accepted by the school nurse
● Volunteer at the science lab for Kindergarten students
● Volunteer to help Kindergarten students who are behind in reading
● Help out on Popcorn Fridays
● Send little notes to teachers and staff to thank them and encourage them
● Chaperone field trips or substitute in the classroom. (Please call LPSS to schedule your Level 2 volunteer approval.)
● For more details:
What is PTC? Our parent-teacher committee is responsible for special programs and fundraisers and hosts monthly meetings open to all at the school library and broadcast live on Facebook. Officers: Naomi Quebedeaux – President; Kyle Cannon – Vice President; Jennifer Dunbar – Secretary; Sevie Zeller – Secretary; Adele Chauvin – Treasurer (all parents of Woodvale students)
What are some of the fundraisers for Woodvale?
● Spirit Night: Throughout the year, Woodvale hosts “spirit night” at various venues around town like Cane’s and Kart Ranch, where a percentage of the evening’s revenues go to Woodvale.
● Fall Fundraiser: Each fall, Woodvale participates in a large fundraiser to generate funds for campus and classroom resources
● Eagle Fun Run: In the spring, students collect pledges from neighbors and friends, and run and play through a race track and obstacle course on the PE field. Last year, we raised nearly $20,000!
● Popcorn Fridays: Students receive popcorn at school seven Fridays of the school year. The cost to participate is $10.00.
● Box Tops and Community Coffee Label Collection: Collect and bring in labels to raise money for the Library. Each nine weeks the class in each grade level with the most collected will win a popsicle party.
What is the Fall Symposium? Students participate in 90 minutes of hands-on activities during the school day with help from volunteers and community partners. Stations are set up on our playground and students rotate through each one. The themes each year rotate between Math, Science, History, Art and Louisiana Studies.
What is Leader in Me? Franklin Covey’s whole school transformation process teaches leadership and life skills in daily curriculum based on The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People. Each year parents and community members are invited to attend Leadership Day, an end-of-year program showcasing how the students have implemented the 7 Habits throughout the year. The 7 Habits are: Habit 1: Be Proactive • Habit 2: Begin with the End in Mind • Habit 3: Put First Things First • Habit 4: Think Win-Win • Habit 5: Seek First to Understand, Then to Be Understood • Habit 6: Synergize • Habit 7: Sharpen the Saw For more information visit: theleaderinme.org
What is a Lighthouse School? Woodvale has achieved Lighthouse Certification as a Leader in Me School. The Lighthouse Certification is a highly-regarded standard set by FranklinCovey with evidence that our school has produced outstanding results in school and student outcomes, by implementing the Leader in Me process with fidelity and excellence.
What is PBIS? PBIS stands for Positive Behavior Interventions and Supports. Positive behavior is rewarded through incentives like Leader Bucks for “Treasure Box” items and 9-week PBIS celebrations for students without infractions. We also hold Synergy Assembly pep-rallies around progress report and report card time to celebrate major milestones.
What is Leader of the Week? A “Leader of the Week” staff member and student in each grade are chosen each week, and a bulletin board in the front hallway will display the leader.
What is Go Noodle? Children get active inside the classroom through this global technology. gonoodle.com
When will my child visit the library?Students visit the library every week and may check out books. (Kindergartners will start checking out books later in the year.) The library circulates over 30,000 books year! The library hosts December’s Scholastic Book Fair and the Book Parade in the spring.
When will my child visit the computer lab?All students visit the computer lab every day!
What’s an AR goal and what is the STAR test? AR stands for Accelerated Reader. Students begin the year by completing the STAR test to determine the child’s reading range, and they select library books within that range. Beginning in first grade, students then complete an AR quiz on the book and can earn points. Woodvale’s goal is to maintain an overall average of 85% or higher on all quizzes. Top readers will receive an award at the end of the year.
What standardized tests does my child take? Students will take standardized tests like LEAP 2025 and NWEA. Your child’s teacher will let you know when this occurs so they can come to school well-rested.
Woodvale is the first of nine schools getting a facelift around Lafayette Parish. Work began in April to add a new building onto Woodvale’s campus to house 20 new classrooms, alleviating the need for portable buildings on the Doucet side of campus. Officials expect the new wing to be complete by August 2020. Read more here! https://www.theadvocate.com/acadiana/news/education/article_660c81b0-687b-11e9-9456-6fb3edd53686.html
Eagle Fun Run 2019 is this Friday, March 29th! We are so excited for our number 1 fundraiser, and our kids are super excited as well. Want to be a part of the fun? Sign up here to help out!
PTC Officer Nominations are going on now! Would you like to be an officer or do you know someone who would be a great officer? Find out more about open officer positions and nominate someone at the link below. Nominations will continue until March 19th and voting will take place at the April PTC meeting.
This Friday, March 15th, 2019 LPSS will hold a registration for all Lafayette Parish Kindergarten classes for the 2019-20 school year. The event will be held at each elementary school from 8:30am to 2:30pm. Click here for more information.
Our next Popcorn Friday is February 22nd! If you indicated an interest in helping out, you should have a received an email from the committee chair. If you did not complete our volunteer form but would still like to help, it’s not too late! Please sign up for a time on our “Sign Up” page located here.
Just a quick reminder that our monthly PTC meeting will be held Tuesday, February 19th at 6pm in the Woodvale Library. We have some exciting things coming up to discuss such as our upcoming Fun Run & officer nominations. Come out and take part. We hope to see you there!
Our next Popcorn Friday is January 25th! If you indicated an interest in helping out, you should have a received an email from the committee chair. If you did not complete our volunteer form but would still like to help, it’s not too late! Please sign up for a time on our “Sign Up” page located here.